Improve the lives of people affected by HS
People living with Hidradenitis Suppurativa are at the heart of our mission, which is to improve the lives of people affected by HS through advocacy, education, and research.
Our vision is to live in a world where no one suffers from HS.
Disseminate the latest HS knowledge for professionals and patients
Our programs directed toward both patients and medical professionals are capped by an annual international conference, the Symposium on Hidradenitis Suppurativa Advances, where the latest breakthroughs in the cause, diagnosis, control, and cure of Hidradenitis Suppurativa are shared in a three-day educational conference. Educational resources on our website include the latest treatment guidelines, online courses addressing the unmet needs of patients, and the research changing the landscape in Hidradenitis Suppurativa.
- Annual Symposium on Hidradenitis Suppurativa Advances (SHSA)
- HS Spotlight for people with HS and their caregivers
- HS Academy for dermatology residents with an interest in HS
- HS In-Depth for advanced practice providers wishing to learn more about HS
Guide, fund, and promote research directed by the unmet needs of patients
Hidradenitis Suppurativa is one of the most devastating diseases in all of dermatology. Research into the cause, control, and eventual cure of HS is central to our mission. We fund basic, translational, and treatment-based research through our Danby and Translational Research Grants, while also providing funding to help young physicians with an interest in HS receive mentoring from seasoned experts.
- HSF Danby Research Grants
- HSF Translational Research Grants
- HSF Mentored Experience Grants
Advocate with all stakeholders
Our advocacy goals strive toward more and better treatment options, easier access to care and better coverage from insurance, and patient-centered outcomes in research and drug development.
- Advocate for patients with payers and policy makers
- Investigate patient-reported endpoints in clinical trials
Originally founded by two patients and two dermatologists
Since our founding in 2005, the Hidradenitis Suppurativa Foundation has fostered and encouraged worldwide research by developing and supporting an interdisciplinary family of scientists and physicians devoted to studying Hidradenitis Suppurativa, in order to deliver more effective forms of treatment and preventative measures to those with this common, debilitating, and eminently chronic disease.
- In October 2012, it was determined that a European organization representing HS goals was needed. Led by Drs. Christos Zouboulis and Gregor Jemec, the European Hidradenitis Suppurativa Foundation was formed.
- In April 2013, the HSF’s new President, Dr. Paul Hazen, welcomed multiple new members to its Board of Directors, representing experts in clinical care and research from throughout the United States. The Board was joined and supported in this mission by its first pharmaceutical Partner, AbbVie.
- On May 1, 2014, Dr. Danby assumed the presidency and colleagues in Canada were approached to form the Canadian HS Foundation.
- On March 4, 2016, Dr. Iltefat Hamzavi became president of the Foundation, overseeing a period of renewed HS interest, including the HS Foundation’s first Symposium on Hidradenitis Suppurativa Advances (SHSA) and establishing the HSF Danby Research Grant program.
- In March 2022, Dr. Joslyn Kirby became president of the Foundation and Brent Hazelett became the first full-time executive director of the organization, signifying significant growth for both the Foundation and treatment and research being conducted for HS in the United States.