What is HS (Hidradenitis Suppurativa)?
Put plainly, HS (Hidradenitis Suppurativa) is an immune disease that causes recurring boils in the folds of your skin. Usually, that means your armpits, groin, stomach, or buttocks. It’s also known as ‘acne inversa.’ It might be painful, it might be embarrassing, and it might be emotional. But...
- It is NOT contagious.
- It is NOT an infection.
- It is NOT a result of poor hygiene.
People all over the world are living with HS. Some groups are more affected than others.
- Sex: Women are 3x more likely to get HS than men.
- Race: People who are Black or biracial are more likely to have HS than Caucasian people.
- Genetics: HS can run in families. About 30% of people with HS have a family member who also has the disease.
- Age: HS often starts after puberty - when you’re a teen or in your early 20’s - but it can also develop later in life in your 40’s or 50’s.
No matter who you are, if you have HS, then you are not alone. Explore our site to learn more and connect with others!